Monday, July 4, 2011

3 Ingredient Roast That Will Knock Your Socks Off

So would it help if I told you one of the ingredients is BACON.  Truthfully, what isn't better with a little bacon.

Yesterday I needed to throw together a dinner main course that would feed a crowd and not require me to spend an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen - for this I dragged out my trusty crock-pot.  I pulled out a roast from the freezer.  Would you think less of me if I told you that I didn't know what type of roast it was...it was a beef roast for sure, but I'm lousy with knowing what type of cut it was. However, I do know that it was big!!

Putting together this roast couldn't have been any simpler.  Here's the ingredient list (and I don't count salt& pepper, or olive oil, because those are pantry staples):

6 cloves of garlic
1 package bacon
1 Jar of Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce (Fischer & Wieser)

That's it!

So I first, defrosted the roast (I had less then 10 hours to cook this and so I wasn't about to wait for the crockpot to defrost and cook the roast). Once the roast was defrosted enough, I sprinkled salt and pepper (liberal on the pepper) on both sides of the roast.

Next, I peeled 6 cloves of garlic, diced them up and then drizzled a bit of olive oil on them (less than a tsp.) and sprinkled course salt on top of garlic. Then using the flat side of my knife I mashed and smeared my garlic.  The goal is to make a kind of garlic paste.  It's totally cool if it's kind of chunky.  Once you're happy with the garlic paste, scrape it up and smear it on oneside of your roast.

I then put the roast in the crockpot, garlic side up.

Now the rest couldn't be any easier.  I opened a package of bacon and layered the bacon across the surface of the roast to cover the entire thing.  I had several extra pieces so I just stuffed them under the roast.

Finally, I opened a jar of Fischer & Wieser's Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce and poured the whole thing over the bacon covered roast.  That's It!

I turned the crockpot on high and left it for about 6-7 hours.

I got home from church last night about 5:30 and there was only one tiny little piece left for my dinner, because everyone else (all 6 adults & 8 children) had devoured it.  I didn't eve get a chance to take a picture of the finished product.  But I'm happy to report, the last piece that I had was AWESOME!  The meat was perfectly tendered, and the bacon had just pretty much melted and flavored everything, and the sweetness from the sauce was a perfect compliment.  In fact we all agreed these ingredients would also be perfect on a pork roast....hmmmm, the possibilities.

And once again I've proved that everything tastes better with bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment