Monday, August 9, 2010

Peanut Beef Stir-Fry -- Monochromatic Goodness


I was looking for something different. I'm tired of the same-old-same old. So I started thinking about stir-fry on the way home from work. Once I got home I browsed through one of my favorite recipe sites -- allrecipes.com -- and found a recipe for Peanut Beef Stir-Fry. Now the recipe didn't have any pictures, and I usually avoid any recipes without pictures, but it had a bunch of great reviews. I love peanut butter and so I decided to give it a try.

The recipe was super simple. I made a few substitutions, because I can't stand celery -- it's a whole stringy texture thing -- and I had a red pepper that I needed to use.

The finish product smelled amazing; however, it was very monochromatic - brown beef, with brown sauce and just a splash of color from the red peppers. To liven up the plate I steamed a few pea pods. Fortunately the Peanut Beef Stir-Fry tasted anything but monochromatic. I loved the subtle peanut/nutty flavor with the saltyness of the soy sauce. The peppers added just a small bite of sweetness. You've really got to try this recipe.

Peanut Beef Stir-Fry
by Rita Reifenstein
allrecipes.com


  • 5 tsp cornstarch

  • 1-14.5oz can beef broth

  • 2 TBS soy sauce

  • 3 TBS peanut butter (the original recipe calls for 2 but I added another, yum)

  • 1/2 tsp sugar

  • 1 lb. boneless beef sirloin steak, thinly sliced (I used "stir fry beef")

  • 1 c. sliced onions

  • 1 c. red bell pepper (the original recipe calls for celery, yuck)

  • 2 tsp. minced garlic (the original recipe calls for 1 tsp, not enough)

  • 2 TBS sesame oil (the original recipe calls for vegetable oil)

  • 1/4 tsp. sesame seed oil (the original recipe doesn't call for this, but I liked the additional enhanced nut flavor)



  1. In a bowl, combine the cornstarch, broth, soy sauce, peanut butter, sugar and sesame seed oil until smooth (I found it helped that I nuked the beef broth for a bit first, because it helped melt the peanut butter); set aside.

  2. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry the beef, onion, peppers, and garlic in oil for 5-8 minutes or until meat is no longer pink.

  3. Stir the broth mixture and add to the pan. Bring to boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens.

  4. Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment